Basic Ranch for Basic Bitches

Raising a vegan family seemed like such a big deal when it was new to me. Hence, starting this blog in 2009. Now, my son is a senior in high school and needs to (finally) learn to cook for himself. What I want to do with this blog is catalog the recipes that have become staples for our family, for him and for anyone who can use them.

My goal is to create a straightforward, utilitarian database. I promise to keep the introductions short and useful.

There will be pictures. They will be bad.

 

* * *

 

Ranch Dressing

This recipe from The Native Foods Restaurant Cookbook by Tanya Petrovna is the easiest and best tasting ranch dressing I’ve come across. I use it on salads, crudité, fries, hot wings, pasta salad, even the occasional boring pizza (if you’ve been vegan long, you know what I mean).

Yes, you can buy vegan ranch now, though not all brands are worth it. Regardless, making your own is less expensive and you can adjust the seasoning to fit your preference.

I usually halve this recipe and make a couple other changes, ending up with something like this:


Basic Ranch

3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise

Dash garlic powder

Dash onion powder

Dash salt

Fresh ground pepper

1 tsp dry parsley flakes

2-3 T almond milk

Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl. Transfer to bottle or lidded jar. Shake before using.


Useful tool alert: these mini-measuring spoons for dash, pinch, and smidgen have come in handy far more often than I ever thought they would. They sell sets now with tad and drop, too. I don't know how useful those would be, but I didn't know how useful these would be either.

Comments